Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A new plan and a new amount of stress

We met with our RE today and discussed what we learned about my response to stims with the IUI we did.  I had written down a list of questions to make sure I got everything answered before we left.  As he was talking to us and explaining how the IVF works he answered most of them.  I only had to ask a few additional questions before we were wrapping our conversation and going over the paper work that comes along with an IVF cycle.

We had in our mind that we would work with this finance company to get the loan we needed so we proceeded to meet and talk about our cycle and how it would work.  I know that I've felt overwhelmed with what I've been reading on blogs and how many meds are involved but the nurses and doctors are really with us every step of the way and I have to remember that!

We got home and went to fill out the necessary application for this loan and it turns out that the processing fee is much more than we thought it would be.  There was no way of knowing what it would be until we finished the application.... so, now JT is completely stressed out and doesn't know what to do.  $950 processing fee is just crazy and a lot of money on top of the $9000 we are asking for.

I hate that money has to be an issue... in fact, I hate that we don't' get any insurance coverage at all.... it would make things a little less stressful-well a lot less!

I would go in on CD 22 for baseline blood-work -which would be next Weds. hopefully we can figure out the money situation by this weekend so we can move forward with the IVF cycle for the month of February... if not we'll have to wait until the next CD 22 to begin.

I'll get into the meds and the kind of cycle we are doing once I know where we stand with the finances.

9 comments:

  1. It's so unfair that insurance does not cover IVF, but covers other ridiculous things. I hope you can figure out the finances without too much stress. Good luck with this next step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money was our main problem. It's so darn expensive to do an IVF cycle. We opted to pay double a normal cycle (which was incredibly expensive) so we could have multiple tries. It's a special program. I'm glad we did because we need to do this all again unfortunately. The expenses are never ending and I just wish this one thing could be easier.
    Just know exactly what you want and do your research before you fork over cash. It's a big investment. One well worth it if it works out.
    Good luck and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the same boat without infertility coverage. Trying to figure out a way to get the money was so very stressful. There were alot of tears and alot of anger at the fact that some people arent able to get loans to pay for ivf. We actually ended up taking a loan from our 401K because the interest rates were far lower then any loan we could get. Also the monthly payments are very low. Fortnantely our clinic is a member of the Attain network so we ended up choosing the Multi-cycle program. If we get pregnant on 1st go around then we paid alot of money, but if it goes to 2nd or 3rd we will have saved money. Its all such a huge gamble and very, very unfair.
    I hope you guys get everything figured out. There is also a group on fb that sells ivf medications at a discounted rate and its helpful for people who dont have coverage. I talked to my clinic about this group and they are familar with them. Althought it is illegal to sell perscription medications, alot of people are doing it due to the cost of medications. Just thought I would throw that out there. I am considering doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful if you go the illegal drug purchase route. I don't personally condone it myself. I'd rather pay for the meds, and yes I've had to pay out for some that aren't at all covered like thyroid meds, than pay bail bond to get out of jail.

    I think its wrong that infertility treatments aren't covered by most insurance. I really wish it would change and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it sad that the financial part stresses me out more than anything else? Maybe that's because we haven't actually gone through IUI or IVF (yet). But we've been saving for what seems like forever to be able to afford it. I hope your finances work out so you don't have to wait until the next cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, just found your blog. My baseline is next Thursday for IVF #2, so we might end up on similar timing. The cost part is the worst of it....we are out of pocket too (except our drugs are covered thank God). It sucks....but I keep telling myself we would spend it on a car right? So why not a baby? But wouldn't it be nice to get one for free made in bed like everyone else!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just had our IVF meeting yesterday (will post about it soon) and are going to be jumping on that bandwagon as well. Looks like you'll be starting before me - we are looking at late spring early summer. The financial part is stressful. I can't decide about loans, refund programs etc. Ugh. But I do feel better to be on a path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog, but I feel like we are dealing with a lot of similar crap. I also have stage III endo (boo), and we are in treatment for IF with no insurance coverage (damn you, California). I find myself so completely and hopelessly stressed due to the financial burden. I am worried we will need multiple IVF cycles, when we cannot even really afford one cycle. I've been sidelined from IUI #1 for almost 4 cycles, and with each delay, more money goes out of pocket.

    Best of luck with your loan, and I hope you get everything figured out soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps - we ordered our drUgs this cycle from ivfmeds.com it was our only option with prescribing cross border. I had been really worried about it but my RE had used them before and it was actually really seamless and apparently (I didn't look as we have drug coverage - our only coverage for this) they are significantly cheaper. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo