Friday, March 2, 2012

I came out on my public blog....

 It's been on my mind for quiet some time now... to tell our story on my public blog.  I knew I wanted to write about it, I just didn't know what exactly I wanted to say or when I wanted to publish it.  Once I made up my mind to do it I spent some time brain storming.  On one of my numerous trips to a monitoring appointment I put my phone on voice record and I just talked it out.  I did this for a few days until I had my thoughts together and finally I knew I was ready to write it up.

It took me about 2 hours to finish, edit and schedule it's publish time.  My heart was pounding when I hit publish.  It would appear live the following morning around 5am.  I changed my comment settings so that comments would have be seen and approved by me before being published. I wanted to digest the words that people may leave before allowing everyone else to see them. I was nervous because I was putting it out there... not all the fine details, but it would now be out, what we're dealing with.  

The next morning I woke up and after getting dressed for the day I made my way to computer with my heart pounding in my ears.  I had one sweet comment with 3 simple words: I love you.  Those words written by one of my best friends made me smile and want to hug my computer screen.  I knew after that it wouldn't matter what anyone else said. I went to work and didn't even think about the post until I got home that evening and remembered and wanted to get to the computer.  There were about 10 comments waiting for me to read and as the days passed a few more came in.  I felt a sense of relief about being out about our infertility. I had been such a part of that blogging community and as time went on in this terrible IF journey this blog, right here, was the community I needed, wanted and desired to spend my time with... so, it felt nice to open up to them and let them know why I'd suddenly disappeared.

Here is exactly what I posted, copy and pasted for you to read. 
It is titled We Refuse to Suffer in Silence

It's time to tell you why I haven't been around...

By now we should have a six month old, maybe a nine month, or if we were extremely lucky, a one year old, but we don't.  Rather, we've learned, as many of you have learned with various life events, that things hardly ever go according to plan. Instead we have heart ache, from disappointment month after month. We are left questioning- Why us? When will it be our turn? And we are spending our days stressing out about our finances because we happen to live in a state where fertility coverage is not mandatory.  {Fact: Fifteen states have passed laws requiring that insurance policies cover some level of infertility treatment: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas and West Virginia. (For more on this visit the insurance coverage section of resolve.org.}


1 in 8 couples suffer from infertility and we are part of that statistic. Infertility is defined as the inability to conceive after one year of unprotected intercourse (six months if the woman is over age 35) or the inability to carry a pregnancy to live birth. 

It has been 1 year and 10 calendar months since we started trying.  My monthly cycles are shorter than the typical months so we have in fact had more cycles than months in the year, so we are just about at the 2 year mark in terms of cycles.  In that time we've watched friends, who started much later than us, become successful at achieving pregnancy and have their babies. Words cannot even begin to describe, or explain, the deep pain and sadness that comes with this.  You see so many people around you so easily, and quickly become pregnant.  It may take some of them a couple of months, maybe even 6 months, but beyond that I don't know too many people who have gone past that time-frame.  And those who have, were eventually able to become pregnant on their own.  We are not one of those couples. We are still wanting, and wishing and hoping and waiting for a baby of our own. 

There are so many people suffering silently with infertility because not only is it a private matter, what happens in the bedroom, and when you decide to start a family but then comes the layer of shame. You feel like a failure because your body isn't doing what it is "supposed" to do. It is because of these people that I am speaking out today.  I want to share our story on my blog because despite the fact that our family members know our story, and our closest friends know our story, there are still many couples out there suffering in silence and are left feeling alone. I am here to tell you that you are not alone in this.



After reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility nearly three years ago thanks to my friend Mo who recommended it. I started charting my cycle and taking my temperature every single morning. After learning about my cycle I started using ovulation prediction kits and spent so much money on pregnancy tests that mocked us month after month.  Then we realized we've tried it all... Since last May we've been tested, poked with needles, and have had numerous doctor appointments to discuss things you would never imagine talking about with another person besides your spouse.  The idea of conceiving a child during a romp in the sheets became a distant fantasy as we were now facing the reality that our child may be conceived in a petri dish.... The idea of this hurt like nothing I've ever felt before.  I haven't cried much throughout this frustrating and painful time but every now and again something will happen and I'll find myself sobbing uncontrollably.  It's just not fair and there is no explanation of why this is happening to us.  We are good people... what did we do to deserve this?

Since my diagnosis {which I'll post about tomorrow} I ran my last race and put my running shoes in the closet.  I was determined to do anything to get us the family we so desired. Our Reproductive Endocrinologist wanted me to gain 5-10 pounds and with the running I was doing it was not going to happen.  It broke my heart and I cried over the loss of something that gave me such joy, relieved immense stress and reminded me that my body wasn't a complete failure.  But, I'm an all or nothing kind of girl.  I knew I would have a hard time cutting back on my distance or the amount of times I ran because I was literally addicted to it.  When you want something so badly you're willing to do just about anything to get it.


As you can imagine it has been so hard to concentrate on anything besides this new way of life.  It literally consumes your thoughts and your body leaving you exhausted which means that things you used to enjoy doing {keeping up your blog, learning new photo tricks and trying them out, reading, hanging out with friends, going out and having fun} come to a halt. It's so much easier staying home and not having to explain to someone that you didn't hear what they said because you were just thinking about what the result of your latest test might be.

We've shelled out thousands of dollars for medications and procedures since November.  I've been injected with hormones, become cranky and emotional, not to mention hugely bloated.  We've cried and hoped and received many well wishes and positive thoughts from some incredibly supportive people. I'm not a private person by nature so certain people in our lives have known along the way that we've been struggling to conceive.  I am so glad to have shared this news because the questions of "when will you have a baby?" have stopped and instead we're given hugs, cards, meals, and positive energy. We are still hoping one of the procedures will bring us our baby.


If you are at the beginning of your journey to have a child and you feel like things are taking a little bit longer than they should here are some tips for you:
  1. Take some time to learn about your body. Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  That book has been amazing and I am so thankful to my friend Mo who shared the title with me because I've learned so much from it. It remains on my night stand and has been underlined, highlighted and pages folded over.
  2. Find out about your insurance coverage because you'll have to make financial decisions that you never imagined.
  3. Ask your OB/GYN for a recommendation to a Reproductive Endocrinologist {RE for short}.  You need to find a doctor who specializes in fertility.  It is scary to leave a Dr. that you know and feel comfortable with but your OB/GYN can only do so much for you.  You need to find an RE that you feel comfortable with, someone that has a lot of knowledge and you can trust because they'll be doing lots of testing and will eventually be doing your treatments.
  4. Get online. There are so many amazing online forums/communities to join. It's time to get connected to women who are going through the same exact thing as you.  As much as you want to talk with your BFF, if they haven't experienced infertility it just won't be the kind of conversation you need.  It has been an amazing source of support and a great reminder that we are not alone. It has been a life saver for me because I don't know anyone in my real life that has gone this long and has actually had to go through treatments to have the family they've always dreamed of.
  5. Do things to treat yourself: buy that cute top if you want to, get your favorite dessert, go get a pedi, or watch your favorite movie for the hundredth time.  Know that it is ok to say no and take care of yourself.
  6. Remember that you are NOT alone!
    If you are reading this post and know someone who is going through infertility, whether it be primary (trying for their first) or secondary (trying for another child) there are few things you can do to help them through this:
    1. Listen.  Just listen.  It is hard for us to open up about this, especially if you are currently pregnant or already have children. Don't worry about trying to fill the space or say something genius.  Just listen, tell us your sorry, that you'll keep us in your thoughts and give us a hug.
    2. Send them notes, texts or emails saying Hi, thinking of you.  Don't always expect a long response but know how deeply grateful we are for this because it becomes hard to reach out to the people we love most.
    3. Don't judge their choices.  Whatever they decide to do, and until you've walked in their shoes and have to make decisions that they are making, don't judge what they decide because not everyone going through infertility is going to choose the same path. Just like treating Cancer- everyone's treatment is different. There are many options for Infertility and no one option is the right one for everyone.  It depends on age, diagnosis, what you're comfortable and ready for... each of us had to do what is right for us.
    4. Be careful when giving what you feel is good advice.  We know you don't mean any harm, and appreciate the fact that you're trying, but it is more aggravating to hear and deal with than it is helpful.  Things such as:
      • "Just Adopt"- this isn't for everyone
      • "Just Relax" or "Stop stressing"- there is no medical evidence to prove that stress causes infertility
      • "It will happen- don't worry!"- Too late, we are worrying
      • "You're young, you have plenty of time!" -We don't want plenty of time, we just want a family
      • "Go get drunk!" -Been there, done that, still no baby...
    • Infertility is a medical condition, not something we've made up.

      If you've gotten this far, thank you so much for reading what has taken me so long to share with you.  It means more to me than you'll know!

      16 comments:

      1. Hi:) I was referred to your blog today by MillionBabySteps. I will be following you through your continuing TTC journey. I just finished my first IVF cycle and got OHSS, so we are moving on to an FET now.

        I love your courage in doing this. I wish to sometimes, but haven't had any sort of "public coming out"...it doesn't really matter though because it seems like every cycle more and more people find out.

        I look forward to seeing your updates!!!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Beautiful, informative and brave. Bravo.

        ReplyDelete
      3. I'm in tears reading this post. *big hugs* You are an amazingly brave woman who put this all perfectly.

        I have been toying with coming out on my public blog, too. It has sat sadly neglected for nearly a year thanks to the state of my uterus and I miss it. This is where I would blog about Mr. Husband's and my adventures in marriage. It would inspire me to keep the fun alive in our marriage so we would always have something to write on. I think it was an important tool for my sanity and I kinda want it back. Maybe I'll follow your lead and "come out" too.

        ReplyDelete
      4. "I love you."

        What a perfect response. Isn't that just what we need to hear sometimes? You can let your friend know that I know she doesn't love me, but reading that made tears immediately fill my eyes.

        We haven't told anyone in real life...I am in awe of how brave you are.

        ReplyDelete
      5. Well done! This post deserves it's own page, as it contains so many points good points. You should be proud of this and I hope (HOPE) that you continue to receive good feedback and comments.

        Fingers are crossed for the retrieval!

        ReplyDelete
      6. I am SO proud of you for writing this post and "coming out" to your IRL world. Honestly I felt like someone was standing up for me - as we can't come out yet to our world. Thank you for sharing this on your behalf and on behalf of everyone else who is going through this in silence. You are one brave lady and you are going to make an amazing mother very soon! <3

        ReplyDelete
      7. That's an awesome blog post!

        ReplyDelete
      8. What a wonderful post! Thanks for swinging by my blog. Best of luck with your egg retrieval!!!

        ReplyDelete
      9. How very brave and beautifully written. If everyone suffering from infertility were as courageous as you, there would be far less ignorance in the world about what it is we actually go through on a daily basis!

        ReplyDelete
      10. I am so proud of you!! You're brave and strong and this is amazing.

        ReplyDelete
      11. I admire you for taking this step and going public, and making so many good points along the way. This is a great post.

        ReplyDelete
      12. Wow. Beautifully written. I hope your treatments work. I an left childless after a hysterectomy due to my endo. I know your heartache. Keep your positive words going. You are doing great. It takes courage to write what you did. I commend you for it.
        Www.thedianestory.wordpress.com

        ReplyDelete
      13. Wonderful post. So glad that you decided to let the world know. I wish that more of us would come out like this.

        ReplyDelete
      14. That is very well written, brave and informative. Well done!

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo