Sunday, March 4, 2012

The day they took my eggs

I had a hard time sleeping Friday night.  I kept waking up in fear of what would happen after they had my oocytes.  What if they didn't last? What if they weren't good? What if JT's sperm and my eggs didn't come together to make a beautiful embryo? What would we do then?  I was terrified of what could happen.  I hate how the mind works.  I tried so hard to shut it off and stay positive because the truth is I was excited for the egg retrieval.  I had a good feeling about this, so now... I had to just believe that things would be ok.

Before I knew it the alarm clock was blaring and it was time to get up.  I took a hot shower. Getting ready to leave was easy because I couldn't wear any make up (not that I wear a lot, but it's an extra step to getting ready) and the comfy clothes I picked out to wear were easy to slip on.  Within 20 minutes we were out the door with my rumbling tummy.  I'm the kind of person who loves breakfast and must eat it so being told no water or food since midnight the night before was like torture!

The skies were gray and rain was coming down.  Thankfully, there wasn't much traffic on the road and we made good time to the clinic.  We checked in, sat down, and a had a few chuckles together before they called JT back.  Shortly after they called me back to get ready.  She weighed me and I must note that I had gained like 7 pounds since the last time I was weighed.  I don't weigh myself at home so I have no idea what I weigh on a day to day basis but I know the general range.  I was surprised by the weight gain, but happy since that is what my RE wanted... plus, I'm sure the stims had something to do with it!

I had to sign a few forms and then undress and put on the beautiful gown.  They got me situated in the bed and the nurse took my vitals and the put the IV in.  It hurt!  She got some saline going and then attached a bag with an antibiotic.  They brought JT back to sit with me and it was nice to have him there.  After about 15 mins the anesthesiologist came back and introduced himself.  He asked a few questions and commented on my height (my feet were hanging off the end of the bed!).  It was nice to have someone to joke with before the ER since I was still kind of nervous for things to come.  He told me about the drugs he'd give me and how they were similar to what they do when you get your wisdom teeth out.  No air pipe- yess!

Soon the Dr. came back and told me what was going to happen.  It sounded "easy" enough.  Finally, it was time.  I gave JT a few kisses and we exchanged the "I love yous' before they wheeled me down the hallway.  The anesthesiologist was pushing the bed down the hall and warned me that he "slipped" me something.  I started laughing and said "ok, so when the hallways start dancing I know who to blame"  I didn't feel it right away but within a few minutes I felt drunk.  Then, I felt something warm going in my arm and he told me that was another drug.  An oxygen mask was put around my head and my legs were put in these gigantic stirrups. My nose was so itchy, I kept taking off the mask to try to itch it.  Mr. Anesthesiologist said that's a normal reaction.  I remember talking with the Dr about being a teacher and how he still remembers his 4th grade teacher.  Then we talked about the bruises on my legs -they are quite huge- one was from falling and the other was from my dog.  The last thing I remember him saying was "take a deep breath" and "I'm inserting the speculum."  I could feel the coolness of it and then all went black.

It felt like an eternity went by as I was waking up.  JT came back and they had saltines and ginger ale for me to drink.  I was sooo sleepy and just wanted to stay asleep all morning.... unfortunately, they needed me to get up!  JT and I were apparently talking -I found out later that evening when he said something and I had no idea what he was talking about- he said that we talked about it after the ER... oh man, gotta love those drugs!
Finally, the Dr. came and told us that he got 19 eggs! Yay!

I was awake enough to go to the bathroom and then get dressed.  We finally left and stopped by a fast food place to get some breakfast for the Mr.  He was so hungry.  He didn't want to leave because he didn't want to not be there when they called for him.  Good thing he didn't leave because I guess the procedure was only like 20 minutes!

One thing that I didn't expect was the pain of sitting down.  It felt like my butt/vagina area hurt... I'm guessing it's my cervix that really had the pain.  Sitting on my side felt the best.  I slept in the car ride home and came home and was in and out all day.  We finally crawled up to bed around 11:30 after waking up on the couch.

I'm excited to see how many egss we have and how many fertilized!

13 comments:

  1. Wow 19 is amazing number. I am glad things went well and you can now recover and wait for Grand Finale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 19! That's great! Rest up, and I hope you get good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! 19 eggs is fantastic ! Take care, can't wait to hear the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like things went well! I'm so glad for you! Take care and let us know the good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great!! Can't believe you got 19!! Loved reading about how the day of the retrieval went...crossing my fingers for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear it went well. Take care of yourself these next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's a great number! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 19 is a fantastic number! Fingers are crossed fot the fertilization report!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a smile in my face as I was reading this because I am so hopeful for you! I am so excited with how well this went for you both! Thank you for sharing so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a smile in my face as I was reading this because I am so hopeful for you! I am so excited with how well this went for you both! Thank you for sharing so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a smile in my face as I was reading this because I am so hopeful for you! I am so excited with how well this went for you both! Thank you for sharing so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that my friend, is a good retrieval number! Sounds like you were a rockstar. Heal well and I'll be looking for the fertilization report!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful number. Hope that you are in less pain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo