Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day My Sweets

I hope you are all receiving a little extra love because we know we all need it now and again!

This morning was my first Lup.ron shot and I didn't like how it went.  I was expecting to not feel a thing because the needle is an insulin needle which is much thinner than what I had last time.  Well, it did prick and the liquid hurt going in.  There was a burning sensation.  Immediately after I had pain at and around the injection site.  It felt like I did a million crunches using just those muscles.  We did the shot at 7:15 AM. My RE wants us to do them at the same time every morning.  I continued getting ready and it still hurt.  I was rubbing the area, over my shirt, to try and loosen it up... you know, what you do when you get the flu shot in your arm.  It didn't help. 

I got to work around 7:50 and called my mom who is a nurse because I wanted her opinion on the pain that I was feeling before I freaked out and called my RE.  She asked me a few questions:
Did it itch?- Yes
Was it hot?- Yes
Was it red/pink? .... I hadn't even looked and when I did I saw a good sized oval of pink spreading out around the injection site. 

My mom then instructed me to draw, with a sharpie, around the redness and check to see if it is growing.  It still hurt and the pain didn't go away until probably 9.  The redness disappeared and I was left with the shape of what looks like Australia on my stomach.  I called my RE's office around 1pm because I thought they should know that this was what I was experiencing.  They of course told me this was "normal" and to call back in the next few days if it gets worse as time goes on.

If I get a red rash every single day and outline it to watch if it grows I'm going to look like a globe with all these weird shapes on my belly!

5 comments:

  1. Yikes that sounds awful! I think we can both agree that Lupron is freaking evil! I keep telling myself that its a small piece of a huge puzzle and without it, my puzzle wont be completed. Thinking about you and hoping it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar reaction with Lupron, and I was really worried that I was allergic. The good news is that it never got larger after the first 30 minutes after injection, and after 3 days or so, the reaction stopped happening. I hope it's the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thing happen with the Lupron and it got worse when I did the menopur any where near that particular injection site. Have you tried icing it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I tagged you in my blog post today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I hope it gets better, but if it doesn't, I hope it doesn't get any worse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo