Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bad things happen to good people

Why is it that bad things seem to happen to such good people?  How come the thieves, the drug attics, the abusers and the people who go on welfare and stay on welfare because they are too damn lazy to get a job don't have terrible things happening to them?

There is this women in the area who spent her life giving to her church community, as well as the community in which she lives in.  Her and her husband have fostered over 200 and was struck from behind around 5:20 a.m. while loading doughnuts for her church’s morning services into the trunk of her car.  She died in her husband's arms.

Someone I know was due in 6 weeks and got hit by a car crossing the street.  Her baby was killed and she almost lost her life as well.  She had to get so many bags of blood that the doctors consider her a miracle.  She is very active in her community and is the sweetest person you'll ever meet.

My friend's husband has cancer.  He is a healthy, active man who would do anything to help anyone out.  They have two small children and of course this news came as a shock.  My heart aches for them as they start the year long process of chemo treatments and surgery.

Then, of course, we have all the women struggling with fertility issues who want so dearly to have a baby, to start a family, to feel a kick from their insides.  We are good people.  I know that I pay my bills on time, obey the laws, I don't do drugs and of course I've stopped drinking.  I help people out when I see they need help. I hold doors for people and reach things on shelves for shorter people- because I can and I am willing.  I am sure there are many things you do that are kind and genuine.  I don't understand why we have to go through what we have to go through when there are teenagers who get pregnant the very first time they have sex.

There are moments where I am at peace with our situation.  This has become our way of life- the great unknown.  Then, there are moments when I just don't get it.  Something tragic will come up in the news or close to home and I'll find myself wondering why bad things happen to good people.  I don't know if this is just a reminder to us that we only have one life to live so we need to take each day and treasure it like gold (or diamonds in my case!). 

Do bad things happen to good people because if bad things happen to bad people we wouldn't care as much?

7 comments:

  1. many people will fight me on this or may completely disagree, but this very question is why I am losing my faith in god.
    You are supposed to be rewarded for being a good person who does good with their life. You are supposed to be looked after and shown love and mercy, if you deserve it...

    If all of that is true and god does have a hand in the giving and taking of lives, then why am I being punished? Why didn't he protect my innocent babies and show me mercy after all I went through to have them?

    These are all things I think about when I consider this 'bad things happen to good people' idea.

    I can't get it reconciled.
    MissC (Alissa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the age old question and it has never made sense to me. I try not to think about all the bad stuff that happens to good people, it just breaks my heart.

    I am at the point in my life where I am really questioning "faith".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a hard one to explain or understand. I've always believed that there is a reason for everything that happens - good and bad. I don't always think God means for us to know why, either. He just wants us to trust Him. Having faith is believing in something even when it doesn't make sense, or you can't understand the reason, or it seems unjust and unfair.

    I know that is easier said than done, and I know that still doesn't take away the hurt and pain and the why? of it all. But trying to have that kind of faith in God's plans has helped me and comforted me tremendously when I am struggling with this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are times I too question my faith in one supreme being. Then there are days that I look back and know someone out there is looking out for me. Like when I walked out of my bad first marriage. I knew someone was finally giving me the push I needed to get away from the beatings. Another time when my dad fell off an 8 foot ladder and landed head first on to the concrete floor. He got up and walked away without so much as a scratch. The time I rolled my car four times and walked away with just minor cuts and bruising. I am going to keep hope that I will get pregnant again and hope that this time it will stick. But yes, I've noticed all too often that bad things happen to good people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This question is one I don't think we will ever find an answer for. I believe in God but I also know he doesn't promise me an easy life, he just promises he will be there with me through all my trials and pain. I never knew that recurrent pregnancy loss and unexplained infertility would be a part of my story but I can honestly say that without God and without the support, love and prayers of friends and family I would not be at the place I am today.
    I have certainly had moments of crying out that "it's not fair" but for the most part I can find peace, trusting in God's plan for our family.
    It's a tough life sometimes, and we have to be there for one another.
    I am so sorry for all the tragedy you have experienced recently.
    Wishing you a peaceful and hope-filled Christmas.
    Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy ICLW week

    Personally, I just try not to think about it. Analyzing it just makes me mad. lol. It just doesn't make any sense in my brain and I just tell myself essentially that things happen that we can't explain.

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try not to think about it, but I can't help it. There are days when I wonder if the IF is a punishment for everything I've ever done wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo