Monday, August 29, 2011

Endometriosis Stage III

That's what I have.

On Thursday, August 25 JT and I made our way to the Surgery Center for 6:30 am.  I was the first one there and the first one registered for the morning.  It was cold. Very cold in there. I wondered if the other rooms were this cold.  We sat for a bit and then they called me back.  I kissed JT and was off.  The nurse asked me if I wanted him to come back with me.

Yes. Yes, I did. And so, he did.

After changing into an oh-so-sexy gown and blue socks I was asked to sit down in this recliner chair that they have in those places.  She took my blood pressure asked me some questions about piercings and allergies and then attempted to get an IV in my hand.  The veins in my hand are small so she had to resort to my arm.

I did not watch. Could not watch. The needle was so big.  So, it was JT's face that I stared at as she poked me.

The nurse then put the heart monitor things on my chest and later came back with these weird bands for your calf something about preventing clots ??

We waited for a bit and then the anesthesiologist came to talk with me and to get me.  I got up and gave JT a kiss and walked back to the room with him.  He asked me to get up on the table carefully, which was hard to do without flashing everyone!  

Once on the table they straitened out the wires and tubes and everything that was on me.  The anesthesiologist told me he put something in my IV that would make me feel heavy.  The other guy put an oxygen mask on my face and told me to breath slowly.  At first I didn't feel anything, and then all of a sudden I closed my eyes....

I opened my eyes about 60 minutes later (so I am told) and heard my name being called.  JT was brought to my side and I could feel him next to me only I couldn't open my eyes.  They were so heavy.

My chest was heavy too and when I tried to tell JT that I couldn't breathe very well I realized how much my throat hurt from the tube they put down there!

The nurse got JT some ice chips to give me and after a few minutes I was waking up more and more.  I was shaking though and couldn't stop.  I am told this is something that happens when the drugs wear off.  I guess that's good!  I had cramping and pains and so the nurse gave me some more meds.

After awhile I was able to get my clothes on and was walked over to the same kind of recliner I sat in before.  I was told I couldn't leave until I peed.  I started to get really dizzy and felt like I was going to be sick. JT told the nurse and got me a pan just in time.  I threw up a few times (embarrassingly so- in front of all those other people).  I felt so much better though.  I had some crackers and my mouth felt so dry, no matter what I had to drink or the ice I had to suck on.

I had the urge to pee and tried to go but nothing came out.  I could tell it was going to hurt when I did end up going.  They put a catheter in- another thing I didn't prepare for!  After some more liquids through the IV and another hour and a half I finally peed.  Not a whole lot, but enough to be able to get out of there.  As much as I enjoyed the nurse taking care of me, I wanted to be home.

Once home I set up camp in the brown recliner, which I had prepared with a table full things the night before. I slept on and off all day and only got up-with much help- to go to the bathroom. I even slept there throughout the night with JT on the couch and our pup somewhere on the floor.  Amazing how dogs just know something is going on.

Friday JT had to work so my mom came over and took care of me... getting me something to drink, making me food, and helping me up to the bathroom.  I slept again on the recliner that night with JT on the couch. This day started the pain in my incisions (one in my belly button and one above my pubic hair line).  I had to ice on and off and take some meds.  I don't like the Percocets, they make me loopy.

Saturday JT had to work again, so a friend came over for a bit to hang out.  I can start to get up some but don't too much because it still hurts my stomach muscles.  My friend did the dishes for me and makes me some lunch. JT doesn't get home until late, which annoys me.... but my parents come by for a bit for a visit and a check in.

Sunday I am trying to move around more but I feel dizzy and so tired.  I finally got to take a shower and was so happy to get one in because it had been since Thursday morning! I also am glad that I got one in because of the hurricane that was on it's way. Yikes.

Monday- today- I should be at work but instead I am taking another day.  I am trying to do more but am thankful for the ability to lie on the couch and rest if I need it.  Tomorrow we have our post op appointment where the RE will go over what he found and what it means for our future.  JT is in denial that we'll need any procedures to help us get pregnant. I am fully aware that that might be our only option.

Endometriosis Stage 3. I'm not happy to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo