Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Telling people we're dealing with IF

Yesterday I posted about trying to figure out just how to word and express the pains that come with our IF journey.  Many of you left wonderful comments and I greatly appreciate that! I love this community so much.  I just wanted to share that we have told many people what we are going through and I share what I can with those who know.  My family and hub's family knows.  Plus, all of our closest friends.  There are some that just know that we are dealing with IF and others who know exactly when our IUI is happening and they will also be the ones who know exactly what's going on with our IVF cycle.

I can't seem to figure out how to express via Facebook, blog post, or conversation the trials and tribulations that come with something like this.  Infertility awareness week is coming up in April and by then I'd really like to out myself on Facebook.  I want people who never thought of it before, to realize that couples struggle with creating the family that you would think comes so easily.  I want to inform and possibly be there for those who don't have anyone to talk to or are just starting out on this journey.

It feels weird though... thinking about sharing on Facebook... because that means that so many people that I no longer talk to or will ever see again (people from HS or College that remain on my FB) will know our business.  It's so private. But then I think about how there are so many people suffering in silence.  I want to educate.  Maybe that is just the teacher in me... or just the part of me that wants to become an advocate for us.  People rally together when someone has Cancer, Alzheimer or has gone through Domestic Violence. There are fundraisers and walks in hopes of raising money to help people coping with those things, as well as bringing more education to people.  I think it's time that we really together for things that are less commonly talked about like Depression, IF, or something else.

I'll be partnering up with some other women I connected with on Twitter to get the word out about Endometriosis during the month of March. I am looking forward to that coming together because maybe it will help me figure out what to do about the end of April.

10 comments:

  1. you are so brave. I am such a coward and so embarrassed by all of this that I hate to share. I know it is stupid because I am so impressed by other people who are so strong and I am so secretive with it. Good for you, I imagine it can only bring more support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I am trying to figure this out as well. I am afraid of publically saying something and then getting evil comments. But I too want to help inform the general community about this struggle.
    What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bravery and passion for speaking up about this. Too often we feel like we are alone in the entire world going through this crap when we probably know numerous other couples but they're also just hiding the truth. Hubs & I have talked about being very vocal and open about all of this someday too. For a variety of reasons, we can't do that yet. But you have my 200% support to out yourself in any way you see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you said exactly what you need to say on facebook - it's a tricky topic, there's not easy way to broach the subject, and it is something extremely private - but you want others to know they're not alone. PERFECT!

    You're so brave and I hope that others will follow in your shoes and make IF something a lot less taboo. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe in educating the public on these issues too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did it last May by posting a video intro to our blog on facebook (you can still see it on the About Us page of the blog). Even though sometimes all the attention can be a bit overwhelming, everyone has been soooo supportive and encouraging. I don't regret getting it out in the open at all. Hope you're able to figure out a way to do it that suits you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can look at my blog post from last April for the facebook campaign I did for infertility awareness week. Several women on the board joined we with the daily posts for the week. A few got some insensitive comments but most of us had positive feedback. I'm all for spreading awareness!! I want to do something a little differant this year but in the same spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way last year. And even though I did start sharing, a lot of people were clueless as to what it all was about. That said, I think NIAW is a great way to start this process. This year, I plan on participating in Resolve activities like "Bust a Myth" and even joining other social media campaigns. It's a hard first step for sure, but I've never regretted outing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been really hard for me to share. Which is silly, because I know a lot of people IRL who have struggled or are struggling with infertility. I want to be more open about it someday, but just don't feel ready yet.

    I think it is awesome that you are sharing with so many people. I am sure it will help another girl out there who is struggling silently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My blog posts go straight to facebook. But I've always been a very open person so I've posted it to facebook since its inception. But before I did that, I posted something during infertility awareness week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your kind words! xo